Are you struggling to put weight on your German Shepherd? Are you at your wits end trying to think of ways to get him to eat more and gain the weight he needs? If so, you’re not alone.
A lot of people have difficulty getting their GSDs to gain weight, but luckily, there are a few things you can do to help.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss some tips for feeding your GSD to gain weight, as well as some foods that are especially beneficial for gaining muscle mass.
So keep reading to learn more!
Is Your German Shepherd Underweight?
If you think your German Shepherd is underweight, there are a few things you can do to help them regain their health.
First, take them to the vet to make sure there are no underlying health issues causing their weight loss.
Once you have ruled out any medical conditions, you can begin working on increasing their weight.
One way to help your German Shepherd gain weight is to feed them more often. If they are eating only once or twice a day, try increasing their meals to three or four times a day.
You can also add some high-calorie foods to their diet such as cooked meats, full-fat dairy products, and nut butters. Make sure to talk to your vet before making any changes to your dog’s diet.
Another way to help your German Shepherd gain weight is to increase their exercise. Getting them out for more walks or runs will help burn calories and build muscle.
You can also try adding some weight-bearing exercises to their routine such as swimming or hiking. Just make sure not to overdo it, as too much exercise can also lead to weight loss.
If you are concerned about your German Shepherd’s weight, talk to your vet about the best ways to help them regain their health. With a little effort, you can help them reach their ideal weight in no time!
Why does the German Shepherd need to gain weight?
If your German Shepherd is underweight, it’s important to help them gain weight in a healthy way. German Shepherds are a large breed of dog and need enough food to maintain their size.
Often, German Shepherds will lose weight due to illness or stress. If your German Shepherd is not eating enough, they may need to be fed more frequently or given a higher quality food.
You should always consult with your veterinarian before making any changes to your German Shepherd’s diet.
Are German Shepherds strong and healthy?
Yes, German Shepherds are generally strong and healthy dogs. However, like all breeds of dogs, they can be susceptible to health problems.
Some common health problems that German Shepherds may suffer from include hip and elbow dysplasia, diabetes, and allergies.
Luckily, there are many steps that owners can take to help prevent these health problems from developing or becoming worse.
For example, feeding your German Shepherd a high-quality diet and making sure they get plenty of exercise will help keep them healthy and strong.
How can I make my German Shepherd gain weight?
There are a number of ways to help your German Shepherd gain weight, including:
– feeding them high-quality food that is rich in calories and nutrients;
– exercising them regularly to build up their muscle mass; and
– ensuring they get plenty of rest so their bodies can heal and repair.
If you are concerned about your German Shepherd’s weight, talk to your veterinarian for specific recommendations.
What to feed German Shepherd to gain weight?
To help your German Shepherd gain weight, you’ll want to feed them a high-quality diet that is rich in calories and nutrients.
Look for a food that is specifically designed for large breed dogs or working dogs, as these will often have the higher calorie levels needed to help your German Shepherd bulk up.
You may also want to add some additional healthy fats to your dog’s diet, such as olive oil or coconut oil, to help boost their calorie intake.
Just be sure not to overfeed your dog, as this can lead to health problems down the road.
Stick to the recommended serving size on the food label and talk to your veterinarian if you have any concerns about your dog’s weight.
Best Foods for German Shepherds
German Shepherds are a versatile breed of dog that can be used for a variety of purposes, including herding, guarding, and even as working dogs in the police force.
They are also a popular choice for families due to their loyalty and protective nature.
German Shepherds need a diet that is rich in protein and fat in order to maintain their energy levels and muscular build. Here are some of the best food options for German Shepherds:
1. Raw meat: Raw meat is an excellent source of protein and fat for German Shepherds. It is important to choose lean cuts of meat to avoid excess fat intake. You can either feed your German Shepherd raw meaty bones or ground meat.
2. Chicken: Chicken is another great option for German Shepherds. It is a lean source of protein that is also low in fat. You can either feed your German Shepherd chicken breasts or thighs.
3. Fish: Fish is a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for the coat and skin. Salmon, tuna, and sardines are all excellent choices for German Shepherds.
4. Eggs: Eggs are an excellent source of protein and contain all the essential amino acids that German Shepherds need. They can be fed raw, scrambled, or boiled.
5. Cottage cheese: Cottage cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. It is important to choose a low-fat cottage cheese to avoid excess fat intake.
6. Yogurt: Yogurt is a good source of protein and calcium. It is important to choose a low-fat yogurt to avoid excess fat intake.
7. Beef: Beef is a great source of protein and fat for German Shepherds. It is important to choose lean cuts of beef to avoid excess fat intake.
8. Lamb: Lamb is another great source of protein and fat for German Shepherds. It is important to choose lean cuts of lamb to avoid excess fat intake.
9. Turkey: Turkey is a lean source of protein that is also low in fat. You can either feed your German Shepherd turkey breasts or thighs.
10. Vegetables: Vegetables are a good source of vitamins and minerals. German Shepherds can eat most vegetables, but some of the best options include broccoli, carrots, and sweet potatoes.
3 Foods that help German Shepherd gain weight
If your German Shepherd is too skinny, it’s important to help them gain weight in a healthy way. Here are three foods that can help:
1. Chicken – Chicken is a great source of protein, which is essential for muscle growth. It’s also fairly low in fat, making it a good option for dogs who are trying to gain weight.
2. Turkey – Like chicken, turkey is a lean source of protein that can help your German Shepherd build muscle mass. It’s also packed with nutrients like zinc and selenium, which are important for a healthy immune system.
3. Salmon – Salmon is an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for overall health. Omega-3s can help promote a healthy coat and skin, as well as joint health. They can also be beneficial for dogs who are trying to gain weight, as they help increase energy levels.
If you have a German Shepherd that is underweight, don’t worry. With the right diet and exercise plan, your dog can start to gain weight in no time.
We recommend starting with a high-quality dog food that is specifically designed for German Shepherds and adding in two or three of the foods on our list of best foods for German Shepherds.
Make sure to monitor your dog’s progress and adjust his diet as needed.
Gaining weight can be hard work, but it will make your German Shepherd stronger and healthier – both physically and mentally. Have you ever struggled with getting your German Shepherd to gain weight? Let us know in the comments below.
Hey! I’m Kevin, who loves playing with pets. I believe German Shepherds are loyal and intelligent dogs. I love to write about GSD care, health and many more. I’m the writer of GermanShepherdShow team. When I’m not writing, I love playing football with my friends.